Sunday, March 3, 2013

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, one complaint...


There might be slight spoilers for those who haven't finished AC3 below, you have been warned, says I!
Many complain about the fact that Assassin's Creed is now so popular that Ubisoft is milking the franchise, I'm not. The games still have effort put into them, and you don't have to buy each game, and the variety in setting pretty much guarantees that sooner or later a setting you love will pop up. As you might have guessed, that's not what my complaint is about, I don't mind it, the games are pretty fun and I feel that they really improved the fighting in AC3 even though that game was a bit lacking. My issue is about the "present time" story arch which wasn't finished in AC3.
You know, I still remember when Ubisoft said that they were planning to make AC into a trilogy, and we all know how that went... So after AC Revelations I thought it was about time to finish it, no more side games, then what happens? AC3 is officially announced, and with them being all nervous about the ending of the game, saying how it will end Desmond's story, I bought into that. Sure it ends Desmond's story, without spoiling too much I will just say that it still doesn't end the "present" story going on, which is f*cking annoying! I know that the ship had sailed (pun intended) for the game to be an actual trilogy but was it really asking too much for them to end the present story thing they have going? Simply put, I don't care anymore, and I don't know who does.
The sad thing is that while I'm excited about a "fourth" (lol) AC game that focuses on pirates all the excitement is brought down by the fact that it will be tied to whatever they're trying to do in the present time, trying to use the ancestor to find some item to defeat the enemy or a key to open a door to some ultimate weapon, who honestly cares anymore? The point is that if they would just be so kind to finish up that story so they could make games that actually focus on the different time periods without being tied to some future faffing about. I feel that the stories become a lot more predictable and both story lines just feels like filler as a result.
I understand that the Animus is a big thing in the series, and even if they finished up the present affairs that they would incorporate it in some manner, but that's okay as long as the focus could be completely on those unique time periods. I really wish they could finish the present shenanigans this time around, or perhaps the ending in AC3 could be the ending, it would be a crappy ending sure but an ending nonetheless. But who am I kidding, of course there will be cliff hanger after cliff hanger, odds are that they will find the series unprofitable and quit before they come up with a conclusive ending... Which is truly a shame since they do handle the time periods very well despite of the bullshit in between.

1 comment: