Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Battlefield 4, it looks... Okay?

So many of us have seen BF4 by now, if you haven't I'll put a link at the end... So here's my take on it, it looks okay, however maybe a bit too "okay". What I mean with that, is that while it looks fun and all, it doesn't seem to push anything forward or so, maintaining the status quo so to say. While there do seem to be a graphical update, and perhaps more impressive destruction, what else is there?

I previously made a blog post about how games are evolving, funny how BF4 then comes and slap me in the face. Sure it seemed more free, but the demo we saw was still pretty linear and were likely heavily orchestrated. To be fair though, this was the announcement peak, and kudos to them for showing a long demo too, and if we are to consider what they did with BF3 it looks promising. Remember when BF3 was announced? I think you do, it wasn't long ago really, however then they showed a 12 minute demo that wasn't really impressive to be honest, now look at how great the game was when we look past that demo, could they do the same thing here meaning were still to see a beast behind the "okay" demo? I hope so.

One thing that worried me was the fact that the enemy models were more or less identical to the Russians in BF3, could that be a sign that the game is being rushed? I mean, it is supposed to be released fall this year, sure they could change the models since it's not finished yet, but I don't know, it was something that stood out to me. What else are they being lazy with if they haven't even bothered making new models for the enemies?

As a Ps3 gamer, I feel they've made a mistake releasing it for current gen consoles. We all expected a big leap forward when they release another numbered installment, how big can that improvement be when they release it so late in the console cycle? The problem I had with it that I apparently shared with several forum dwellers on different sites is that it's not quite impressive enough for next gen, yet too impressive for current gen. We won't see what the demo showed on Ps3 as an example, however on Ps4 we might, though will we be impressed when other great looking titles are released during the same time? If BF4 is to impress those who go for it on Ps4 and Nextbox, they really should play on what they do good, big environments, destructible terrain and huge multiplayer battles, those things could be enough to make us impressed even though it's a game on both current and next gen platforms.

Oh and while it hasn't been announced yet, it will most likely also end up on next gen consoles, count on it.

Finally, I'd like to say that I really wished they would have done something besides modern military shooter, lacks interesting colors as well, what will they do to stand out, really? Sure it seems like a grim take on the genre (although a bit cinematic, "CoD-ish" but anyway), but Spec Ops: The Line already made a masterful take on it, will it pale in comparison? Only time will tell.

Here's the link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8HVQXkeU8U

No comments:

Post a Comment