Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Xbox One, what is this huge retro-box?

Xbox is now more, just a box
I assume there's an explanation behind why it's called "Xbox One", however as someone who don't know the story I find it a bit silly. Sure, calling it Xbox 720 wouldn't have been much smarter, but this seems illogical, how is it Xbox One when it is in fact the third? To be fair though, naming their Xbox successor Xbox 360 didn't leave a lot of room for logical successor names unlike Ps3 to Ps4. 

The announcement event is going on as I write this, so I won't have all the info by the end, why not wait? Well gotta act while the iron's hot, a humble blogger got to take the time into consideration as well. So what has been revealed so far? Well some game announcements, the console was actually shown, and they've talked a bit about specs and what it can do. I have to be honest, so far, the only thing which caught my attention was the game from Remedy, perhaps MS will have something else but shooters next gen. 

Lets start with the box itself, while I was never a fan of the original design and them having neon green colors around it, it seems like they've abandoned all the character it had in favor of... Eh, I dunno to be honest. It looks like a VCR from my childhood, it made me a bit nostalgic actually, I wasn't alone in this. Seems big and not very practical, I assume you'll be seeing slim models popping up perhaps at E3 of 2014. Also, while one would think that at least it's consistent in being a box, the thing they've done in making one half matte black and the other glossy black still manage to make it look messy. 

There's other details like that it was confirmed false that the console would be always-online, which is good news. However, it joins Ps4 in being non-backwards compatible. I was under the impression that they talked about the specs at one point but I got lost since they started talking about other features available, all in all the event has felt a bit unfocused. One minor thing though, when an official representative says "the best controller in the world" I can't trust what they say anymore, perhaps it's just me but that's an opinion in my book. Go ahead, brag about what you do, but when they start making their view, their opinion into facts, I have to call time-out. It's up to us fans to bicker about which controller is the best controller in the world, the company itself should appear more objective and back up why their controller is good, not throw around statements like that, I dunno, seemed slightly off.

Now, the games, games are what makes a console. They've said something about how they plan to have 15 exclusives within the first year, that sounds good and all but lets remember that they might be pushing Kinect with some of them and not all of them might be big games or even that exclusive. Nothing suggests that core gamers will get many exclusive games to look forward to, perhaps Halo or Gears will appear. Who says that Remedy's Xbox One exclusive game will be that exclusive? Alan Wake was 360 exclusive until it appeared on PC, why buy the console if the exclusive games might be available to me anyway on a decent PC? This might be cynical speculation, but I'm assuming they will push several more casual Kinect titles and smaller perhaps indie games and have one or two bigger core games.

After reading this you might have picked up I'm not that thrilled, that's true, I am in the Ps4 camp. Although while I might not have jumped to the new Xbox regardless of what they've shown they've done little to impress me. Exclusive next gen CoD content? Please, they haven't showed much to make Xbox One look a lot better than Ps4. Announce that you won't have to pay to play online this time around, go big with some costumer loyalty program, do anything that will really make it shine. As it is now, they haven't used their opportunity to impress the gaming community, even Playstation fans, very well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment