Wednesday, April 10, 2013

MGR:R Jetstream DLC is cruel, and unfair

Yeah, keep smiling asshole
Okay, wow, a DLC that gives some insight into the character Jetstream Sam, a rival to Raiden in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, sounds coo, no? While the story aspect is pretty interesting, they went batshit crazy (Raiden's words, not mine) with the gameplay however... I might not be the biggest hack n'slash fan there is, and I might not be very good at those games, but I never had any problems with the vanilla game. I never felt that the game was being unfair in any way (except the last VR missions, maybe), this DLC however is downright brutal. Also a bit short.

Anyone who has played MGR:R knows that the combat is fast paced, it's also pretty challenging but fair nonetheless. Sure it became easy if you did a certain parry exploit and then also had a fully upgraded Fox blade... But that's besides the point, I assume they felt they had to up the difficulty with this DLC, and holy shit did they do just that! Playing on normal, sure I got through, but the final boss? Excuse my language, but fucking donkey tits here it goes too far... I know this might sound like whining, perhaps I am, but listen to what they've basically done here. They took the fast combat, made the enemies much faster and YOU the player much slower.

With enemies also having more attacks, the final boss especially having seemingly unblockable attacks, it seems rather unfair. Sure MGR:R had gameplay flaws, but this DLC seem to do its best to bring them up and push them in the face of the player. I don't know what it is exactly, it's a some time ago now since I played the original game (well, some weeks) but I don't remember gameplay being this clunky and... bad? Seriously Platinum Games, what went wrong? Frustrating gameplay, overpriced (for the same amount of cash you can buy Gta Vice City off PSN, I recommend that instead), short (ergo overpriced) and worst of all, they completely wasted a potentially cool back-story! Sam is a cool character, why try to explain the character with such a shallow and poorly executed DLC? Also, why did they have to remove the ninja kill?

I don't know what more to say about this, a shame really. You might read this and think "well you just suck at the game, quit whining!", I say to you: I enjoyed the original game, this DLC is simply frustrating, there's a difference between that and actually challenging. The Big Boss difficulty in the MGS games is challenging, this is ass. I hope the Blade Wolf DLC is better, more thought out, but you can be sure that I will be more careful before I give them my cash.  I suppose if you're a patient guy who felt you were skilled at MGR:R could think of picking this up, but for the average joe? I dunno, I feel you might be wasting your money, I read this before I bought it but didn't believe it but you're better off watching the thing on Youtube.



No comments:

Post a Comment